Sandown FC 2-2 Shanklin FC, Sat 21 Sept 2019

Sandown 2 v 2 Shanklin – Division One

Sat 21st September 2020

Score 2 – 2

The bay derby was played on a warm sunny afternoon in front of a large crowd with Shanklin starting the day in 3rd place and Sandown in 6th.

The game could not have got off to a better start for Sandown when after 3 minutes a Jake Lester shot was deflected past Jack Powell and into the Shanklin net. Sandown seemed to be lifted by this and with a continued press made it 2 nil after 7 minutes with a Jake Lester second.

The quick 2 goal Sandown advantage seemed to wake Shanklin up. Sandown seemed to stop pressing and sat back and started to come under increasing pressure. That said, Sandown did create further chances on the break.

On 24 minutes a Shanklin player went to ground within the Sandown penalty area. A loud appeal from the Blue side of the bay was met with a referee’s whistle and a penalty was awarded. This was controversial for several reasons, one as the referee was a long way from the incident and secondly the Shanklin player and assistant manager both admitted it was a dive. Iain Seabrook stepped up and converted the spot kick,

2 -1.

Sandown seemed to then pick up and started to play again. Several breaks resulted in some good chances for Josh Field on the left. With the Shanklin area under pressure Sandown should have gone into the break 4 – 1 up but far post and headed misses by Ben Field meant at Half Time the score was 2 -1

The second half started well for Shanklin, pressing and putting pressure on the back 4 of Sandown. The game was end to end and Sandown having changed their formation and getting wide was stretching the Shanklin defence. On 60 minutes Shanklin broke after another long ball from Seabrook at the back. The Sandown linesman immediately raised his flag but was not seen by the referee. The ball was crossed and scrambled into the Sandown net. The linesman still had his flag in the air and to the astonishment of the Sandown supporters and players the referee decided that he would not speak to our linesman and awarded the goal. 2 -2

The rest of the match was end to end and both sides were now evenly matched. Shanklin was putting pressure on the Sandown back 4 but never really threatened Andy Payne in goal. It was a different story at the other end. Several Sandown attacks resulted in clear opportunities with just the keeper to beat but Jake Lester could not convert them.

As the clock ticked down it felt like one team was going to grab a winner. With 3 minutes left a long ball from Rob Iley to Josh Field on the left resulted in a great cross into the 6-yard box and with an open goal begging Jake Lester did the impossible and put it over the bar. Shortly afterwards the final whistle went and a 2-2 result was recorded.

It was pleasing to see that we could compete again with a top 3 club and get a point from it.

A good game and lots of positives as we move forward to next Saturday’s home game against Ventnor.

Andy Payne

Luke Healy

Regan Clifford

Simon Spragg

Brad Kenning

Rob Iley

Karl Butcher

Alex Breingan

Ben Field

Jake Lester (2)

Josh Field

Thomas Miller

Tom Bleach