East Cowes Vics FC 1-2 Sandown FC, 10 July 2019

East Cowes Vics FC 1 v 2 Sandown FC – pre-seaon friendly

Weds 10 July2019

Score 1 – 2

Last night saw the first XI play their first friendly of the new season against a full East Cowes Vic’s first team.

Starting with a 4–1-3 -2 formation with Dale Watkins as skipper Sandown settled quickly and looked sharp. With Blow and Kenning (fullbacks) bossing the wings and playing high up the pitch, ECV were soon under pressure and on the back foot.

Over the course of the first 20 minutes Sandown looked the better team, taking the game to their opposition.

The midfield three of J Field, Wade and Butcher looked very compact and were doing a good job of stopping the opposition from playing through the centre. However, after 25 minutes ECV broke through the middle after turning over an SFC attack and scored, leaving stand in keeper Iley with no chance.

Two reserve players who had impressed at the end of last season and in training, Ollie Parkinson and Sam Coe were brought on with 20 minutes of the first half remaining and settled quickly to the pace of the game.

Vics created several more chances, but good defending from Spragg meant that after 45 minutes the score remained 1 – 0 at half time.

At the start of the second half, Breingan and Lester were brought on to replace Wade and Johnson and SFC continued to play good attacking football. Pre-season was always about giving players opportunities and to try different formations, so after 55 minutes we changed to a 4-1-4-1 formation. With Vics turning our attacks over and breaking quickly, this formation seemed to settle the team, and as the time ticked on, we became more controlled and started to dictate the game.

Lester now settled in the game began to take the game to the Vic’s back four and after 58 minutes went through on goal only to be fouled by the advancing keeper, penalty. Up stepped Ben Field who slammed the ball into the top right of the net.

1 -1

Sandown were now getting better and better with every minute, and pressure on the Vics back four was constant. Ollie P was putting some great tackles in at CB and Josh Field was now making some good runs in his favoured wide position.

On 70 minutes, with confidence growing Lester was put through on the right-hand side with only the keeper to beat, and that he did with a calm right foot shot into the bottom right hand corner. A well-deserved goal from a good move.

This seemed to ignite Vics who started to attack the SFC goal more, however it was pleasing to see that the lads didn’t just sit back and try and defend their lead, they defended by attacking which meant Vics attempt at pressuring us failed.

With 8 minutes to go, Vics did get a shot on target, but Iley pulled off a good save low to his left, and with the clock ticking the lads dug deep and hung on to get a well-deserved win over a young and impressive Vics side.

It was pleasing to see the team improve over the 90 minutes, adapting well to changes in formations and having the effort and desire to get a result. All 15 players that took part equally deserved the praise. MOM – all of you

Final Score Vics 1 – SFC 2

Team: Iley, Blow, Spragg, Thomas, Kenning, Watkins, Wade, Butcher, Field(J), Johnson, Field(B)

Subs Breingan, Lester, Parkinson, Coe